Among the worst side effects injuries which can be caused by defective drugs generic valsartan and valsartan HCTZ are cancer. But what kinds of cancer can valsartan cause?
So far it’s known that liver cancer, colorectal cancer and stomach cancer, also known as gastric cancer, are possible side effects of the defective high blood pressure drug. Other possible cancers being explored in connection with BP medication valsartan are colon cancer, kidney cancer, bladder cancer and pancreatic cancer.
Symptoms of Valsartan Cancer
You may be wondering what are some of the symptoms of valsartan cancer. That depends on the type of cancer. The American Cancer Society provides these details.
Symptoms of stomach or gastric cancer include:
- A feeling of fullness in the upper abdomen, even after having only a small meal.
- A sense of pain or discomfort in the belly, or abdomen, usually above the navel.
- Indigestion, also known as heartburn.
- Loss of weight without attempting to lose weight.
- Poor appetite.
- Vomiting, which may or may not include vomiting with blood.
Symptoms of liver cancer include:
- An enlarged liver, indicated by feeling a mass beneath the ribs on your right side.
- An enlarged spleen, indicated by feeling a mass beneath the ribs on your left side.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
- Loss of weight without trying to lose weight.
- Feeling full even if you’ve had only a small meal.
- Jaundice, or yellowing of the eyes or skin.
- Buildup of fluid in the abdomen or swelling in the abdomen.
Symptoms of Colorectal / Colon Cancer include:
- Varying bowel habits, such as constipation, diarrhea or narrow stools, any of which continue beyond a few days.
- Feeling as if you need a bowel movement even though you’ve just had one.
- Fatigue or weakness.
- Pain or cramping in the abdomen, or belly.
- Weight loss without trying to lose weight.
- Bleeding from the rectum.
- Blood in the stool, making it appear dark.
- Weakness or anemia, caused by blood loss. Due to blood loss, a low red blood cell count revealed in a blood test often is the first sign of colorectal cancer.
Why Does Bad Valsartan Cause Cancer?
As for why defective valsartan causes cancer, it’s due to overexposure to NDMA, a carcinogenic (poisonous) contaminant found in some generic valsartan products made in China for American marketers of generic valsartan.
Even one high dose of NDMA has been known to cause severe liver damage, internal bleeding and death. Tests of animals have shown that ingesting high to moderate amounts of NDMA caused liver damage in only a few days and caused cancer after only a few weeks.
Other research shows that humans also can suffer cancer due to sustained exposure to NDMA, even in small amounts. And since valsartan is a drug taken daily for prolonged periods, that makes cancer dangers from contaminated valsartan even greater.
Valsartan Recall Over Cancer Fears
Because some -- but not all -- of generic valsartan products are contaminated with NDMA, a valsartan recall was issued by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Drug companies making a valsartan recall over the FDA’s fears of cancer side effects include Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd., Solco Healthcare and Major Pharmaceuticals. Solco and Eva also have to recall their valsartan HCTZ products.
File a Valsartan Cancer Lawsuit
Americans who have suffered stomach, liver or colorectal cancer after taking generic valsartan can get a valsartan cancer lawsuit to protect their legal rights and claim fair and just payments for their injury losses. Such payments can include money for their hospital and medical care costs, for any lost wages or salary due to the defective drug, and for their pain and suffering.
Contact The Willis Law Firm today for a free legal review of your case. This review is entirely confidential and comes at no obligation to you. Then you can decide if you want to proceed with a valsartan cancer lawsuit.